A dog isn’t always man’s best friend. In fact, more than 4.5 million people are bitten by dogs each year, and about a fifth of them end up requiring medical attention according to the American Veterinary Association. Furthermore, most dog bite incidents involve children and senior citizens. Consequently, many of these incidents end up getting litigated in court in a dog bite lawsuit.
If you or someone you love, has been bitten by a dog and you feel legal action is necessary, there are some things you can do to strengthen your chance of winning in court.
The Six Steps For Filing A Dog Bite Lawsuit:
1. The first thing you need to do, after seeking medical attention for the dog bite victim, whether it is yourself or a loved one, is obtaining the identity of the dog and its owner. Get names, addresses and other pertinent information.
2. Second, you’ll need to photograph your injuries. This provides a visual record of the severity of your injuries that you can use in court to prove your claims.
3. Next, you’ll need to file a dog bite report with your municipal government. This report helps document your case and provides a paper trail for authorities.
4. After documenting your incident, research whether the dog has been involved in other incidents. Check written records to determine whether the dog has a history of aggressive behavior or biting.
5. Be sure to keep a record of all medical treatments and expenses. Also document the impact the incident has had on your life – emotional trauma, physical pain, loss of work, etc.
6. Lastly, contact an attorney and provide all of the relevant information. Your attorney will be able to move forward with the dog bite case and seek compensation from the responsible party.
The Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates, LTD. helps clients recover the compensation they are owed in personal injury and wrongful death suits. As a Chicago-area dog bite injury lawyer, the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates have helped thousands of plaintiffs recover millions from parties responsible for their losses.
Contact us at 1-800-722-9744 today to learn more about how our firm can help you in your legal matters.