There is nothing more overwhelming than to lose a loved one when the loss could have been prevented or avoided. Navigating the consequences of loss while grieving can be paralyzing, especially when wrongful death occurs. Adding a wrongful death attorney from our team that has been supporting families in Chicago will ensure these tragedies do not compound into financial misfortunes.
When a person’s death results from the negligence or misconduct of another person or entity (e.g. a company), a wrongful death suit may be in order. A wrongful death suit differs from other kinds of personal injury claims in that the victim (referred to as the decedent) is not bringing the lawsuit. Instead, the suit is brought by the family members of the victim’s estate with the help of a wrongful death lawyer.
A wrongful death claim can help the victim’s family recover damages for injuries and other losses they or the estate have suffered because of this death. Your family deserves to have the provisions your loved one would have created for you had this tragedy not happened.
Wrongful Death FAQs
Wrongful death happens more often than you might think:
Wrongful death cases can arise from a variety of circumstances. As a matter of fact, fatal work injuries alone totaled 189 in 2018 here in the State of Illinois.
This is according to Assistant Commissioner for Regional Operations, Charlene Peiffer, from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, who noted that the number of work-related fatalities in Illinois increased in 2018 and then dec
Below are some of our state statistics from 2018. These are published a couple of years behind, but you can see that these tragedies are more common than you might have suspected.
- In Illinois, transportation incidents resulted in 75 fatal work injuries, and contact with objects and equipment accounted for 34 fatalities. These two major categories accounted for 59 percent of all workplace fatalities in the state.
- Worker deaths from transportation incidents were up from 61 over the year, and worker fatalities due to contact with objects and equipment were up from 23.
- Violence and other injuries by persons or animals were the third-most frequent fatal work event with 26 fatalities, up from 20 in the prior year.
- Falls, slips, or trips resulted in 25 work-related deaths compared to 27 in 2017.
- Nationally, transportation incidents were the most frequent fatal workplace event in 2018, accounting for 40 percent of fatal work injuries.
- Violence and other injuries by persons or animals were the second-most common fatal event (16 percent), followed by falls, slips, and trips (15 percent) and contact with objects and equipment (15 percent).
How a wrongful death attorney help:
Understanding the law is complicated and, when you are grieving a loss it can be challenging to see potential challenges of the path ahead clearly or what might be affected by your loss beyond your grief for your loved one, having an experienced wrongful death attorney can be invaluable as they will keep your future needs in focus and fight for those needs to be compensated for.
The experienced wrongful death attorneys here at Shuman Legal understand that no amount of money can make up for the loss of your loved one. However, we can help you recover damages and loss of financial security to mitigate some of the trauma of your loss.
If your loved one’s death occurred as the result of another party’s negligence or misconduct, a wrongful death lawsuit against the person or entity responsible might be appropriate. Our team can help your family pursue compensation in a suit for:
- Loss of future earnings
- Loss of companionship
- Direct expenses
- Loss of benefits
- Punitive damages
The experienced wrongful death attorneys at Shuman Legal will help you understand how wrongful death lawsuits typically unfold and we’ll work closely with you to ensure you receive adequate compensation for your damages.