Families need to trust that nursing homes will provide compassion and professional care for their loved ones, but sometimes this trust is betrayed by unscrupulous companies and individuals. In fact, the real nursing home abuse stats can be quite alarming.
This abuse can take many forms, whether it’s neglect, cutting corners on services, taking advantage of seniors financially or for instances of physical abuse. For families whose loved ones have suffered this abuse, a nursing home abuse attorney can help them seek justice for their loved ones.
Nursing Home Abuse Stats
1. Elder abuse is a problem more widespread than most of us know. Consider these facts from the National Council on Aging and the National Center on Elder Abuse:
2. Nearly one in 10 Americans over the age of 60 have experienced elder abuse. Some experts estimate that as many as 5 million seniors experience abuse each year.
3. Only about one in 14 elder abuse cases are ever reported to the authorities.
4. One in three nursing homes in the U.S. has been cited for violations.
5. Seniors with dementia are more likely to be abused than other seniors. About half of seniors with dementia experience abuse or neglect.
6. Seniors who have been exposed to elder abuse have a 300 percent higher risk of death than seniors who have not been mistreated by their caregivers.
Caring for elders is a sacred trust and when this vulnerable population is taken advantage of, loved ones are left to deal with the emotional, medical and financial consequences. Nursing home abuse attorneys help families obtain the compensation they deserve when their family members are mistreated.
IF YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW IS A VICTIM OF NURSING ABUSE,
CALL (800) 722-9744 NOW
TO Speak To An Experienced Injury Lawyer FOR FREE.
Since 1996, the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates have been helping nursing home abuse victims, all injured victims and their families, navigate the complex legal process. As experienced personal injury, worker’s compensation, auto accident, compensation, and wrongful death attorneys, we can help you evaluate the facts, assess your options and navigate the legal challenges on your behalf.
With over 77 combined years of experience advocating for in excess of 20,000 injury victims and their families, we have recovered over 50 million dollars on their behalf. We advocate on your behalf, so you can focus on the task of recovery.
We serve clients all over the Greater Chicago Area, the State of Illinois and Northwest Indiana. CALL (800) 772-9744 Toll NOW for your FREE consultation.