lost wages


Proving lost wages in a personal injury case requires having certain documentation and records to present to the court through your personal injury lawyer. The types of documentation required depend upon the nature of the accidents you experienced, the injuries you incurred and the specifics of your inability to work.

Even if you work part-time or are self-employed, you could be entitled to lost wage recovery as part of your personal injury case. The documentation you typically require to show you have lost wages includes:

  • Pay stubs from before and after the accident.
  • Tax returns or W-2s, 1099s, bank statements and so on, for the past few years.
  • A letter from your employer verifying your pay rate, normal hours and the frequency with which you receive payment.
  • A letter from your doctor stating the nature of your injuries and how long they are going to prevent you from returning to work.
  • A copy of police reports, if relevant to your case.

If you have used up your paid-time-off (PTO), sick pay and/or vacation pay as a result of your injuries, you are often entitled to recover this time. This is because you would have used it for something else, had you not been in an accident and injured.

For more information about filing a personal injury case and recovering lost wages, contact the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates, LTD. today by calling (800) 722-9744.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email