While preventing accidents is not entirely possible, there are several things you can do to increase your safety while you’re driving and reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident. Here are 18 tips for staying safe behind the wheel.
1. Adjust all mirrors and seats before driving and verify you can clearly see around you.
2. Avoid distractions, like text messaging and remain focused on your surroundings and vehicles near you.
3. On two or more lane highways, remain in the right-hand lane unless you are passing.
4. Also, make sure you keep sufficient space between you and the vehicle in front of you, allowing ample time to stop without hitting the other car.
5. Always use your turn signals for lane changes and turning to let other drivers know your intentions.
6. Also, never make lane changes in intersections.
7. Slow down when approaching intersections to give yourself sufficient time to stop if the light changes or there is a pedestrian crossing the road.
8. Give pedestrians the right of way when turning left or right.
9. While driving, be courteous toward other drivers.
10. Do not get mad if another driver cuts you off or is driving poorly.
11. Do not repeatedly look at your phone.
12. Very importantly, do not hold your phone while driving. If you must talk, use Bluetooth.
13. Do not make a right-hand turn in front of a bus.
14. Make a full 3 second stop at a red traffic light before turning, if allowed. That will save you from receiving a $100 red light ticket.
15. Wear your prescription glasses if you need them for distance vision.
16. Watch out for stopped school buses.
17. Do not speed in school zones.
18. Finally, make sure to replace your wiper blades so that they are in good working order when you really need them.
While all these suggestions seem obvious, accident statistics have shown how often people fail at doing them. However, if you are involved in an accident that was not your fault and has sustained personal injuries, it’s in your best interest to discuss your rights and options with a qualified auto accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Contact us at the law offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates, LTD at (800) 722-9744 for a free consultation and to speak to an injury lawyer today.