Tips for Staying Safe Behind the Wheel
While preventing accidents is not entirely possible, there are several things you can do to increase your safety while you are driving and reduce the likelihood of being involved in an accident.
- Adjust all mirrors and seats before driving and verify you can clearly see around you.
- Avoid distractions, like text messaging, and remain focused on your surroundings and vehicles near you.
- On two or more lane highways, remain in the right hand lane unless you are passing.
- Keep sufficient space between you and the vehicle in front of you, allowing ample time to stop without hitting the other car.
- Always use your turn signals for lane changes and turning to let other drivers know your intentions.
- Never make lane changes in intersections.
- Slow down when approaching intersections to give yourself sufficient time to stop if the light changes or there is a pedestrian crossing the road.
- Give pedestrians the right of way when turning left or right.
- Be courteous toward other drivers.
- Do not get mad if another driver cuts you off or is driving poorly.
- Do not repeatedly look at your phone
- Do not hold your phone while driving. If you must talk, use Bluetooth.
- Do not make a right hand turn in front of a bus.
- Make a full 3 second stop at a red traffic before turning, if allowed. That will save you on the $100 red light tickets.
- Wear your prescription glasses if you need them for distance vision.
- Watch out for stopped school buses.
- Do not speed in school zones.
- Make sure to replace your wiper blades so that they are in good working order when you really need them
While all of the following suggestions seem obvious, accident statistics have shown how often people fail at doing them. However, if you are involved in an accident that was not your fault and have sustained personal injuries, it is in your best interests to discuss your rights and options with a qualified auto accident lawyer
as soon as possible. Contact us
at the law offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates, LTD at (800) 722-9744 for a free consultation and to speak to an injury lawyer today.