Seven Steps to Take Immediately After a Parking Lot Wreck
No one backs out of a parking space at the grocery store or mall thinking that they’re about to become involved in a personal injury suit, but it happens more often than you’d think.
Parking lot accidents account for nearly 20 percent of all traffic accidents
, and many of them end up in court. If you become involved in a parking lot traffic accident, follow these steps to protect your rights:
- Be responsible. Determine if you or the other people involved in the accident need medical attention. Call emergency responders if someone needs help.
- Call the police. Even if the accident only resulted in minor damage, be sure to inform the police so that there is an official record of the accident on file. It’s required by law in many states and will come in handy if the accident results in litigation.
- Get necessary information. Find out the name of the other driver, and also get his or her license plate, driver’s license number, insurance information, and contact info. Avoid getting into an argument about the accident, and, whatever you do, do not admit fault. If you’ve struck a parked car and no one is around, gather available information about the other vehicle and write your contact information down on a note and slip it under the other vehicle’s wiper blade.
- Take pictures. Pictures can help document damage should the accident end up in litigation.
- Collect facts about the surrounding area. Make note of businesses around the scene and also make note of the time, location, and weather conditions present at the time of the accident.
- Call your insurer. Get in touch with your auto insurance company as soon as possible. Give them all the details of the accident that you have.
- Get in touch with an attorney. If you were injured or your car experienced severe damage, or if the other party is making accusations and allegations, it’s smart to get in contact with an auto accident lawyer sooner rather than later.
The Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates, LTD. helps clients recover the compensation they are owed in personal injury and wrongful death
suits. A Chicago-area personal injury
firm, the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates has helped thousands of plaintiffs recover millions from parties responsible for their losses. Contact us
at 1-800-722-9744 today to learn more about how our firm can help you in your legal matters.