Experiencing an auto accident is a traumatic event. After receiving medical care for any injuries, you must file a claim immediately. Filing a claim will allow you to receive coverage for property damage and medical expenses. If you do not feel your needs are being met during the claims process, you may want to set up a consultation with an auto accident lawyer in Chicago.
Information You Will Need to File a Claim
Before you contact your insurance company, gather all the information you need to expedite the claim filing process.
- Find your insurance card or a bill with your complete policy number including the dates of the effectiveness.
- Note the date and time of the accident.
- Provide information on all of the people involved in the accident. You will need to have full contact details including name, address, and phone numbers of the other driver, passenger and any witnesses that may have viewed the accident.
- Have all driver's license information, license plate numbers, make and model of the vehicles involved ready to give to the insurance company.
- Obtain a copy of the police report if possible.
- If you have a camera or cell phone with camera abilities, take pictures of the accident scene. The more documentation of the accident the better results.
Insurance Claim Steps
When the insurance representative fills out the proper paper work, you will be given a case assignment.
- The assignment allows you to keep track of the claims process as you meet with representatives to discuss your situation.
- The representative will evaluate and examine all submitted documentation to determine a payment amount.
- The payment will be issued and the case will be closed.
The process seems simple as long as all your expenses are covered. However, if you feel the claims process is being delayed, seek the help of a professional. An auto accident lawyer in Chicago can help speed up the process, giving you access to the compensation you need to repair your vehicle and pay for any medical care. Additionally, an auto accident lawyer will be able to give you expert counsel if you decide to proceed with a lawsuit.