Motorcycle Accidents: What Are The Dangers To Avoid?
Motorcycles provide a sense of freedom. They also come with risks. The average motorcycle accident is far more serious than the average car crash. Studies have consistently shown that motorcycle accidents lead to a higher rate of serious injury and even death—as much as 35 times higher.1 Motorcyclists should be aware of the hazards, weigh the risks carefully and practice good safety habits.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents come in many varieties. Collisions with other vehicles, particularly head-on collisions, are the most common type of motorcycle accident. They’re also the deadliest. Given the lack of protection, any type of accident is more severe when it involves a motorcycle.
Types of motorcycle accidents include:
- Head-on collisions
- Collisions with stationary objects
- Collisions with pedestrians/bicyclists
- Side or rear collision
- Loss of control
Top Motorcycle Dangers
In order to minimize the risk of injury, motorcyclists should follow basic safety practices. This means knowing what mistakes to avoid. It also means learning how to deal with a range of potential hazards:
- Left-Hand Turns: Cars making left-hand turns are among the biggest threats to motorcycles. Whether passing by on one side or proceeding through the intersection, beware of left-turning vehicles.
- Lane Splitting:Lane splitting—driving between two rows of slow or stopped cars—is common practice among motorcyclists. It can also be a dangerous maneuver. Lane splitting is not only dangerous, it’s also illegal in Illinois and violators can face the prospect of fines if the police catch them maneuvering between traffic.
- Road Hazards: Road hazards include potholes, animals and slick, oily or icy roads. They are particularly perilous for motorcyclists who can easily lose control when they come into contact with such hazards.
- Speeding: As with all vehicles, speeding is a leading cause of crashes.
- Alcohol: Drinking while driving always poses a danger, to the drunk driver as well as everyone else on the road. The stakes are higher for the driver if he or she is riding a motorcycle.
If You Or Someone You Know Has Been Involved In A Motorcycle Accident,
CALL (800) 722-9744 NOW
To Speak To An Experienced Injury Attorney For FREE.
Since 1996, the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates have been helping motorcycle accident victims, all injured victims and their families navigate the complex legal process. As experienced personal injury, worker’s compensation, auto accident and wrongful death attorneys, we can help you evaluate the facts, assess your options and navigate the legal challenges on your behalf.
With over 77 combined years of experience advocating for in excess of 10,000 injury victims and their families, we have recovered over 50 million dollars on their behalf. We advocate on your behalf, so you can focus on the task of recovery. We serve clients all over the Greater Chicago area, the State of Illinois and Northwest Indiana. CALL (800) 772-9744 Toll NOW
for your FREE