Five Tips for Driving Safely in Chicago Winters
Chicago has some of the coldest, fiercest winters in the U.S., making conditions especially dangerous for drivers. Motorists need to keep safe winter driving practices in mind and also have a Chicago car accident attorney’s
number in their phone in case they’re involved in a car accident
Motorists hitting the highways around Chicago during the winter months should remember to:
- Avoid using cruise control when driving on potentially slippery surfaces. Your ability to quickly alter speed to match conditions will be impaired. Tire thread depth is critically important for traction. Grip on slippery, icy or snow laden roads as well.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated. Underinflated tires won’t get the maximum amount of traction needed to ensure safe driving.
- Slow down. When visibility is diminished by snowstorms and roads are slippery, speed is more dangerous than usual.
- Increase your following distance. Wet surfaces make it even harder to slow down. Keep a greater distance between yourself and other vehicles to reduce the likelihood of a wreck.
- Keep abreast of weather conditions. Check the weather before venturing forth. If conditions are bad, don’t leave home unless it’s absolutely necessary.
- Make sure your wiper fluid is full.
- Keep your windows clean and clear. This is critical when driving in any bad weather conditions.
- Wiper blades should be replaced every 6 months, especially if they are failing to clean your windows.
- Lastly, make sure to clean the snow off your rear window before you start driving. Bad weather conditions make driving hard enough but limited visibility all around makes it far worse.
If You Or Someone You Know Has Been Involved In A Car Accident,
Contact Us at (800) 722-9744 NOW
To Speak To An Experienced Personal Injury Attorney For FREE
Since 1996, the Law Offices of Marc J. Shuman & Associates has been helping car accident victims, all injured victims, and their families navigate the complex legal process. As experienced personal injury, worker’s compensation, auto accidents, compensated and wrongful death attorneys, we can help you evaluate the facts, assess your options, navigate the legal challenges, and advocate on your behalf.